POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Converting bezier splines to regular splines : Re: Converting bezier splines to regular splines Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:28:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Converting bezier splines to regular splines
From: scam
Date: 13 Dec 2006 08:15:01
Message: <web.457ffbce6a30df8e19862de70@news.povray.org>
"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote:
> You know personally I just wish pov could take bezier splines as one of it's
> spline types, I love the whole control point system of bezier, it makes so
> much sense!
>
> Unfortunately the only way to "convert" it that I know of is to write your
> own macro that supports bezier splines, then sample it at a lot of points
> and create a spline to approximate those, though if you've got a macro that
> does bezier splines there's no need to convert it! Unfortunately I haven't
> got such a macro, the maths is on the internet somewhere...
>
> --
> Tek
> http://evilsuperbrain.com

Thanks for the replies guys.

I realised yesterday that I didn't actually need a POV-Ray compatible
spline, and that writing my own macro was the way to go. The maths is
actually very simple, and a non-recurrence form for a cubic bezier spline
can be found here: http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/54434.html

I'll post my macro once I clean it up a bit.